Saturday, May 29, 2010

friday night's elusive escape

Doesn't matter if I sleep 5, 6,7 or even 8 hours on Thursday night
Friday night my mind shuts down
I have to say
"start thinking now"
and give myself minute to warm up
at a loss for words I'll suddenly recall I can just ask someone else a question
that's easy
"do you like living here in California? it's probably pretty different from China?"
I guess the only downfall of the questioning approach is that the other party might realize I am useless for conversation and simply scrounging in my head for some obvious question

other times I'll get on a roll
"oranges? Yeah! my grandparents have 40 acres of oranges, they have mandarins- maybe those are from China, they have satsumas, they have grapefruit, they have this amazingly big grapefruit tree that they made, the grafted it, it's like this big, big as a basketball."
silence.
maybe i should change the subject

i know- i'll ask a question
"where in guatemala are you from again?"

1 comment: