Sunday, March 14, 2010

Outdoorsy

It smells like firewood
The intangible childhood memories

Seize the bacon, Justin is cooking
Why has Justin cooking bacon replaced my favorite childhood memories?
Leave my brain Justin, my mom used to make breakfast

My dad used to take off his shirt at every opportunity
My dad used to be confident and bold and secure and happy

And then the dream ended
Then everything my dad hoped for melted into a dizzying mess of his kids' adolescence and his wife's suffering

He wasn't an Al Bundy dad, or a Frasier Krane dad, or a Wonder Years dad, or a Home Improvement dad, or a Family Matters dad, or a Step by Step dad.....he was a Boy Meets World dad....a good dad

A man of few words and few deep troubles

But with his wife went his sister and his dad....with his wife went his dream....with his youth and with his wife went his faith in an honest days' work

And there goes someone's life

Born into one of the greatest countries, raised by good German Jews, driven internally by a desire for health and happiness

And brought down by blind chance...what some call God (this is not anti-god)

Where does the time go?

1 comment: