Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dr

I have an appointment
I have been appointed to see someone
At a certain time, at a specific location
I know what will happen

"Sign in here...is this your first time?"
"Drivers License and Insurance Card....thank you"
"Fill out the clipboard...both pages...front and back"
"blah blah ...we'll call you soon"
I sit down......magazine .... stare at artwork ....... judge people ..... think about nothing .......
"Michael!....this way please!"

Small room, nurse soon follows
She pretends she has seen it all before
But she has never seen me
She is a robot

takes blood pressure
asks what medications i'm on
answers my stupid questions
tells me that the doctor will be in in a minute

It is all going according to plan

Where does the nurse go now?
Does she sit down and bang her head against the wall?
What did she do to earn this job?
I know!...slack of at a JC and then take out a loan and enroll in nursing school

Here comes the doctor now
Look at him. 4 years undergrad, 4 years medical school, 3 years residency in internal medicine, 3 years specialization/fellowship in cardiology, passed the boards.....TA-DA!

Should I bow to him? Shake his hand?

"Hi, how are you? How can I help you?"
"Well, lately I've been feeling this ....
"Say no more...here's the drug I give everyone, I'll see you in a month, exit that way"

Wow! What professionalism, what compassion, I feel better already

No comments:

Post a Comment