Sunday, November 1, 2009

Apathy Addiction Disorder

There's a growing tide of complacency
It's eating your brainstem like cantaloupe and cottage cheese
It's laying waste your good intentions
It's snuffing your aspirations and eventually it'll snuff your respirations.

Because that complacency knows no boundaries
No, in fact it's multiplying still
It's in a positive feedback loop
With all intent to kill you.

But hey, who cares, right? Let's go watch Jeopardy
And luckily Wheel of Fortune precedes it so you can just vegetate all life long
To the white noise dirge of your television
While your pallbearers are lining up.

Because every time you say, "Meh, I'll do it tomorrow"
And, "Whatever. Who cares? Not me!"
Your brainstem attrition gets worse
And in inverse proportion, you're filled up with that glee of complacency.
But don't kid yourself: it's a disorder.

"Yay! I'm lazy! It's funny to be self-reflexive about my inaction!
All day every day I like to talk about ideas and act on none of them
And sometimes I blame others, and other times I blame myself, but I just
Sweep those ones under my rug
Because even blame can wait until tomorrow, and why feel down on myself anyway?
It's just my life."

Slap yourself.
Pour ice down your shirt.
Walk on coals and needles and punch a wall until you just wake up.
Stop embracing your addiction and laughing about it all cutesy
And just fucking dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment