Thursday, November 3, 2011

This one rhymes

I’m taking each moment as it comes

But my moments are riddled with obsession

My thoughts are the sounding of drums

By a child with little discretion


I hesitate to say that I’m ailing

But these thoughts evidence many wounds

A mind cut by its numerous failings

And unsure of a future that looms


I can play for myself a sweet song

And vow yet again I’ll improve

But this old brain, just as clever, has caught on

And taunts me to make the first move


It’s been 6 years and I feel just as lost

And the drumming I cannot abate

A great life, on schedule to take off

Now a shuttle from runway to gate


Beliefs and emotion, they dictate my time

And though friends may be a quick fix

When the lights go down, reemerges my mind

And it deals in well-sharpened sticks


So for now, here I am, putting thoughts to a page

But soon I’ll emerge from my cave

To a world I hate where self-esteem takes the stage

In the tragedy of “Master and Slave”


They say, to succeed, that first one must fail

So I really don’t know what I’m worth

But until the winds of change hit my sail

I will shuffle my feet through this earth

1 comment:

  1. This is a fantastic poem, 100%. You should record a video of you delivering it and your other poems and start a YouTube channel.

    Change your sail and set yourself up to catch the wind.

    ReplyDelete