Sunday, May 27, 2012

My Second to Last Post (Unless, of course, something changes)

I am tired of being myself
This recklessness is exhausting
These wounds
Are self inflicted

Rule breaking is fun but also tedious
So much time spent conspiring
So much brainpower diverted
To that warm tingling feeling
Behind my neck and between my ears
That sense that I am doing something wrong
That I am bound to be caught

There was a time
When the world seemed enormous
Like how could you ever see it all?
Like a lifetime would be a long time
But weren't those just the daydreams of a child
Who had only seen the world on TV
And wanted nothing more than to explore?

But what is a life valued on exploration?
At what point is your goal achieved?
And if seeing the world is the a self fulfilling joy
At what point will you be able to say "I've seen it"?

Here's the thing:
I think that trying to understand foreigners speaking another language is a chore
And I am beginning to think breaking rules like "don't walk on this beach" is too
The thing that really gets me excited
Is spending quality time
With good friends
Who love me the way I love them
And in whose company I would be content
Whether here or on some other continent

My apartment is the new Paris
Come, all you ex-pats
It's a place built on friendship and love
Pleasures you can never tire of

3 comments:

  1. i enjoyed reading this. I must say though,

    They speak english everywhere.

    Yesterday my brother went paddleboarding off the coast and saw sea lions and many jumping past. I would like to go.

    for me it is a chore to stay in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this and strikes a chord also

    To me staying one place is a chore.

    I try not to do things in my life so that I can hang them on a wall and say 'i did that', even though this is a tempting way to go about it.

    I do it so that I can have that conversation with others who did it...know where they're coming from... and share in the human struggle.

    i also want money, sex, and ferrari's with money in them.

    ReplyDelete