Saturday, July 3, 2010

Maya

Mayan people
Conquered, converted, and set free
I feel the same way

Some hustlers, some druggies, kids with a ball
Boats, buses and days go by
Expectations being satiated

Set by a lake beneath volcanoes in the forest
I wish I could call this town special
But the HDTVs and blue jeans say it isn´t

It is only special outside of town
Villagers paddling the lake, children laboring firewood and avocadoes
Tourism is finally out of sight

The harder it rains the more obvious it becomes:
Life is crazy

1 comment:

  1. "The harder it rains the more obvious it becomes:"

    i'm envious of you. rain helps me to think more clearly.
    And i know what you mean about wanting a place to be special. I feel that all the time when driving across America- want a town to be special and it being just another iteration of chain stores, gas station employees and decades ago high school football championships.

    miss you man.

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete